One of the finest municipal buildings of the inter-war period in England
During the 19th century the city's civic offices were housed in the medieval Guildhall and a range of old buildings located in what is now the Market Place. With developments in local government duties it became clear these premises were unsuitable. A new City Hall was needed.
Under guidance from Robert Atkinson and RIBA (the Royal Institute of British Architects), an architectural competition for the building was held. The winning design was by C. H. James and S. Rowland Pierce.
A pair of stylised bronze lions, sculpted by Alfred Hardiman, greets visitors to the building. Three pairs of bronze doors leading into the entrance hall contain 18 plaques. The plaques display trades connected with Norwich, and illustrate the city's history.
City Hall holds the largest clock bell in the United Kingdom, with the deepest tone in East Anglia.
Much of the interior is art deco in style. Many of the main rooms are timber panelled, while the walls of the ground floor entrance hall and first floor landing are lined with Italian marble and display the names of all the city's mayors.
King George VI opened City Hall in 1938 to the largest gathering of crowds Norwich had ever seen.
Today Norwich City Council is based at City Hall.