The quintessential English Industrial Revolution mill
St James Mill is the archetypal English Industrial Revolution mill in perhaps an unexpected part of the UK.
It was built on a site occupied by the White Friars (Carmelites) in the 13th century, and an original arch and undercroft survive.
When the local textile trade went into decline, St James Mill was bought by Jarrold & Sons Ltd for use by its printing department in 1902. The building was subsequently leased to Caley's – the chocolate manufacturer – for their box and crackers department, and sold to the government as a training factory for war veterans in 1920. Jarrolds bought back the mill in 1933 and today it is a private office complex.
This is a working building, so access to the public is limited. The John Jarrold Printing Museum, which is open most Wednesdays from 9.30am to 12.30pm or by special arrangement, is situated behind the mill.