Search Form
font size: Increase | Decrease | Reset
Norwich 12, A journey through the English city
Top Curve
St James Mill
St James Mill
St James Mill
St James Mill
St James Mill
St James Mill
Virtual model
Virtual model
St James Mill

When

Key dates in the history of St James Mill:

  • 1256 The White Friars settled on the site
  • 1543 The order of White Friars was dissolved and the site divided up 
  • 1833 The Norwich Yarn Company was set up to prevent the collapse of the textile trade. Several new mills were built
  • 1836-39 St James Mill was built. There was a further downturn in the state of the industry in Norwich and the Yarn Company was forced to let space in the Mill to other companies in the textile trade
  • Mid to late 19th century Floors were let to any company that wanted power to run their equipment and included Aldous & Co., piano manufacturers
  • 1902 The site was bought by Jarrolds
  • 1904 St James Mill was leased to Caleys, chocolate manufacturers. They used the mill for their box and crackers department
  • 1918 The mill was sold to become a Government Instructional Factory. Those who had been maimed in the First World War were taught skills including carpentry, bricklaying, plastering, tailoring and watch repair to enable them to reintegrate into society
  • 1927 Jarrolds bought back St James Mill and the surrounding site
  • 1933-2006 Parts of St James Mill were used by Jarrold Printing and Jarrold Publishing
  • 1990 The upper three floors of the mill were refurbished. The medieval crypt of the White Friars was restored
  • 2004 The site of the Whitefriars Monastery was excavated
  • 2005 The factory buildings and reception area adjoining the mill were demolished and the north façade restored

 



Bottom Curve